Monday, September 10, 2012
After La Salle announced in early April that Devon White would not return to use his final year of eligibility, it was assumed that Coach John Giannini would be signing a big man during the spring signing period. The Explorer coaching staff looked at a number of prospects, including grad student transfer Kore White from Florida Atlantic, juco transfer Keith Coleman, and schoolboy prospects Mike Aaman and Donovon Jack among others. All four chose to go elsewhere so by mid-May, it looked like La Salle would go into the 2012-13 season with a frontline consisting of sophomore big men Jerrell Wright and Steve Zack along with freshmen Rohan Brown and Jermaine Davis.
But then in early June, the Explorers 2012-13 roster was posted on the school's athletic website and to the surprise of many, included on the roster was 6'10" Garvin Hunt, a transfer from the University of Pennsylvania. Since then, there has been much speculation as to how Hunt ended up at La Salle and what his role on the 2012-13 La Salle squad was expected to be.
Check out this excellent article by Jeff Goodman of CBS College Sports as he gets answers to many of the questions about Garvin and his journey that has led him to La Salle for one more chance at college basketball.
Thursday, September 6, 2012
The Atlantic 10 posted their full men's basketball conference schedule, including TV dates, earlier today. More TV dates are sure to be added as member schools negotiate broadcast rights with local affiliates. Below is La Salle's conference schedule:
- Wednesday January 9th - @ Charlotte
- Saturday January 12th - Richmond
- Wednesday January 16th - Dayton (Fox Sports Ohio)
- Saturday January 19th - @ Xavier (CBSSN-Regional)
- Wednesday January 23rd - Butler
- Saturday January 26th - @ VCU (CBSSN)
- Wednesday January 30th - UMass
- Saturday February 2nd - @ George Washington
- Saturday February 9th - Fordham
- Wednesday February 13th - @ St.Bonaventure
- Saturday February 16th - St. Joe's (NBCSN)
- Thursday February 21st - @ Temple (CBSSN)
- Sunday February 24th - @ Rhode Island (CSN)
- Saturday March 2nd - Duquesne
- Wednesday March 6th - George Washington
- Saturday March 9th - @ St. Louis (NBCSN)
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Recent online articles on the ESPN and Sports Illustrated sites have singled out La Salle senior guard Ramon Galloway and sophomore power forward Jerrell Wright.
Galloway's high-flying act has gotten him recognition as one of the top dunkers in college basketball. His reverse slam against Minnesota in the NIT was ranked the second best dunk of the 2011-12 season. Check out these articles by ESPN's Myron Medcalf with quotes from Ramon and Coach John Giannini.
After an impressive and efficient freshman season, Wright is being touted by SI.com's Luke Winn as the third most likely sophomore to have a breakout season. Check out his article.